• 24Aug

    Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge

    Simon Carves tackles the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge to raise money for Lupus UK.

    With 24 miles to cover and an ascent/descent in the region of 5000ft, the Challenge takes on the three Yorkshire peaks of Pen-y-Ghent (694m), Whernside (736m) and Ingleborough (723m); all in under 12 hours! On Saturday 22nd August 2015, a group of Simon Carves employees set out to conquer the Yorkshire 3 Peaks and raise money for our charity of the year; Lupus UK

    At 7am the team found themselves ready to go outside the Pen-y-Ghent café in Horton. They made quick work of the first peak and it wasn’t long before they were heading up towards the first summit of the day. The lengthy descent off Pen-y-Gent was followed by a 6-7 mile wander across the relatively low terrain in the direction of the biggest of the three peaks; Whernside. The draw of the it in the distance kept the team going and they made decent time to the cafe by the Ribblehead viaduct.

    From here the team opted to take a shortcut up Whernside, which knocked two miles off the journey, but the steep final ascent took its toll on the group. Finally, the mist cleared and the views back into the Ribble Valley were worth the aches and pains that were starting to appear. A tough descent of Whernside followed; slippery, steep and rocky this was not one to be rushed or be taken lightly. Thankfully they all made it down in one piece and it wasn’t long before they found flat ground and took on some more refreshment from their support crew.

    Only Ingleborough was left standing between them and completing the challenge; flat, foreboding and somewhere before them in the mist.  With time and daylight fading fast, they took a deep breath and started up. The climb was steady but heavy legs and minds started to kick in at that point. Eventually, 11 hours and 43 minutes after leaving the Pen-y-Ghent cafe; the Simon Carves team made the final climb up to the top of peak number three. Much relief was evident amongst the group, until they realised that they still had about four miles to travel to get back to the café!

    Wind, rain and darkness began to close in as they began the drop off Ingleborough; the last few miles were completed in a thunderstorm with the lightning providing the useful function of showing them where the path actually was. Despite a minor encounter with a few lost cows who were guarding a gate the team needed to go through, everyone managed to return to “base camp” just over 14 hours after originally setting out. Bed was finally reached after a 21 hour day, but it was worth every ache and pain.

    Although they didn’t quite finish the route inside the 12 hour mark, the team raised over £700 for LUPUS UK and are already planning their next charity challenge for 2016. 

    Posted by: